|Manga||Shinra Kusakabe Joins the Force|
The Infernals (焰ビト, Homura Bito), also known as the First Generation (第一世代, Daiichisedai), are victims of Spontaneous Human Combustion. Originally humans, the phenomenon causes their bodies to spontaneously ignite, and transform them into a beings that only want to cause destruction with their flames. The process of transforming into an Infernal appears to be quite painful and is the most feared cause of death. Infernals are considered to be a dangerous threat to human life and the world and because of that the Special Fire Force has been tasked with extinguishing their bodies and purifying their souls.
Infernals are known to vary as individuals in terms of physical appearance, though they all form around a black figure, enveloped in flames. Some of them are more adept in combat than others and some keep their memories from the time they were humans. Infernals have no reason and rampage until their lives flicker out. They can launch fireballs and control the flames of their own bodies, but they also gain a noticeable increase in strength and agility after their transformation. Infernals have also shown the ability to absorb and redirect the flames around them. The only known way to kill an Infernal is to impale their core, located in their chest, which is a painless method of returning them to the raging flames. Humans also tend to pray for the souls of the defeated Infernals, as a way of purification.
Demon Infernals Edit
Demon Infernals (鬼の焰ビト, Oni no Homura Bito) are a type of Infernal. Much like normal Infernals, they have dark, charcoal skin, but what defines them are their devil-like horns sprouting from their head. Only a select few can become Demon Infernals. They are much stronger than normal Infernals, and take a lot more power to be killed.
Sentient Infernal Edit
It is known that if a person transforms into an Infernal while having a strong attachment to life or great willpower, they will keep their self-awareness, however the level of consciousness differs between individuals.
Artificial Infernal Edit
Artificial Infernals are humans that were turned into Infernals via unnatural means. Unlike regular Infernals, the heads of the Infernal are the only thing to ignite. After conducting research on Artificial Infernals and natural ones, Hibana discovered that the difference between them was that the artificial Infernals' core (upper body) had been eaten through by the Bug and left some of its biological residue and DNA inside the body.
- Mikako's mother fell victim to the phenomena in year 196.
- A man boarding a train completely transformed into an Infernal and set fire to the train carriage. He was later killed by Akitaru Ōbi.
- Saeko fully transformed into an Infernal, resulting in the woman damaging her husband's workplace and killing an employee. She was killed by Shinra Kusakabe.
- Mikako's father transformed into an Infernal while remaining partially conscious through the ordeal. He was soon killed by Arthur Boyle without any resistance.
- Setsuo Miyamoto fully transformed into an Infernal, murdering multiple innocent people before being captured and experiment on by the Special Fire Force Company 5. He was killed by Arthur Boyle.
- Masao transformed into an Infernal and was killed by Akitaru Ōbi, with the help of Shinra, some time after the fight between the 5th and 8th Special Fire Brigades.
- Several Infernals were spotted in the streets under the jurisdiction of the 1st Special Fire Brigade, one of whom was frozen by Karim Fulham.
- Inside an abandoned building, a woman was artificially turned into an Infernal by Rekka Hoshimiya, who immediately disposed of her afterwards.
- Hikage's impersonator deliberately exposed himself to a Bug and was turned into an Infernal. He was was swiftly killed by Takehisa Hinawa.
- Haran chose to turn into an artificial Infernal after being injured in combat, by consuming a Bug.
- The chant that the Special Fire Force preaches before killing an Infernal ("Ashes to ashes, dust to dust") is a phrase taken from the funeral service in the Book of Common Prayer.
- Infernals, created by artificial means, do not appear to burn through their clothing during their transformation. It is unknown whether this is unique to artificial Infernals only, however, as Mikako's father was also seen wearing clothing in his Infernal-state.